Need some inspiration to complete your stay in Vulcania? Here are a few ideas of must-see tourist sites to visit in addition to your exploration of the park:
« Volcano emotions » weekend
You would like to enjoy a few days in a volcanic atmosphere, in the heart of the exceptional environment of the Chaîne des Puys? Find out our ideas of emblematic places not to be missed during your weekend in Auvergne:
- Vulcania – There is nothing better than coming to Vulcania to learn while having fun and live an experience full of emotions and discoveries! Learn more about the volcanoes of Auvergne and those all around the world through many dedicated animations like Volcans sacré or Réveil des géants d’Auvergne (entry ticket included with your stay).
- Parc Naturel Régional des Volcans d'Auvergne (Natural Regional Reserve of Auvergne Volcanoes) – Stop by the Maison du Parc des Volcans d'Auvergne (house of the park of Auvergne volcanoes), a Vulcania partner, and discover the natural heritage of the largest French territory to be classified as a natural reserve. You will receive tailor-made advice for your walks in the heart of the Park's natural regions. A free set of 5 postcards of the sublime volcanic landscapes of Auvergne will be gifted to you in exchange for a voucher to be selected when you book your Vulcania stay.
- Panoramique des Dômes – Access the summit of the Puy de Dôme by electric rack train and discover a breathtaking view of the city of Clermont-Ferrand, the Chaîne des Puys and the Massif du Sancy. The remains of the Temple of Mercury, the largest mountain sanctuary in Roman Gaul, are a must-see at the top of the Puy de Dôme. You can buy your ticket for the Panoramique des Dômes with your park entrance ticket when you book your holiday.
- Volvic – Come and visit the Grotte de la pierre de Volvic (Volvic stone cave) which will reveal all the secrets of this gallery exploited for its black stone, emblematic of the Clermont-Ferrand region, since the 13th century. In addition, the Volvic water information area will allow you to learn all about Volvic mineral water, from the source to bottling.
- Volcan de Lemptégy – Come and immerse yourself in the heart of a 30,000 year old volcano, on foot or on board of a small train (complementary visit to Vulcania).
- Puy Pariou and Puy des Goules – These two perfect craters offer stunning views of the Chaîne des Puys and the town of Clermont-Ferrand. You can also access the centers of these two craters, ideal places for a family picnic.
« City Discovery » weekend
Want to visit Clermont-Ferrand and its surroundings? Here are our ideas for places to visit during your stay in the historical capital of Auvergne:
- Vulcania – To find out more about volcanoes, but also about the Earth in Space and natural phenomena, come and explore Vulcania, to learn while having fun with animations rich in emotions and discoveries for the whole family! The park is ideally located, just 15 minutes away from Clermont-Ferrand. (Tickets for the access to the park are included with the reservation of your stay)
- Aventure Michelin – Visit the Aventure Michelin, which traces the exciting history of this great innovative company on over 2000m²! You can buy your ticket for the Aventure Michelin with your park entrance ticket when booking your stay.
- ASM Experience – Discover the fascinating history of the Clermont-Ferrand rugby club and enjoy a guided tour of the stadium which will show you what goes on behind the scenes. Tickets for the ASM Experience are available when you book your stay, along with your Vulcania tickets.
- Plateau de Gergovie – Located about 20 minutes away from Clermont-Ferrand, the Plateau de Gergovie gives you an amazing view of the historical capital of Auvergne and also of the Massif du Sancy and the Chaîne des Puys. Coming to the plateau de Gergovie is also like travelling through time. It was here that Julius Caesar suffered a heavy defeat against the Gauls led by Vercingetorix, in 52 BC. Relive this confrontation in a lively and interactive exhibition of over 600m2 at the Musée Archéologique de la Bataille.
- Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption Cathedral – A true emblem of the city of Clermont-Ferrand, this cathedral built entirely of "trachy-andesite", the famous stone from Volvic, is a must-see during your visit of the city.
- Notre-Dame du Port basilica – This 12th century basilica is a beautiful building that was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List on December 2nd 1998.
- Riom – Make the most out of your stay in Auvergne and discover the town of Riom, located 30 minutes away from Clermont-Ferrand. The Clock Tower, the Auvergne Regional Museum, the Mandet Museum, the church of Notre-Dame du Marthuret and the Sainte-Chapelle are all popular sites worth seeing in the former administrative capital of the Royal Lands of Auvergne.